These poems are for people who understand poetry to the same degree that they understand chocolate. Once a philosophy major, with an eye on the drum majorette out the window, now I’m all about the poetry, having found the toggle for serious mode, lost since a boyhood tussle.
The focus this month is on my relationship with Donald Hall (1928-2018), U.S. Poet Laureate 2006-2007.
- Out the Window: June 23, 2019*
- Machine Learning
- Eagle Pond Farm Market
- Last poem?
- Vowels of bright desire
- Except for Love reading in Cambridge
Following the appearance in a January 2012 edition of the New Yorker of his now-famous essay “Out the Window,” I became acquainted with Donald Hall and had the pleasure of three visits at Eagle Pond Farm, with trips to a succession of area restraunts. Also, I attended his last reading and poetry talk in Nov. 2017 at the University of New Hampshire, as well as his funeral seven months later. This is an aggregation of links to useful, entertaining, and eluciadting items related to Donald Hall, who died on June 23, 2018.
- The Web of Stories, “an archive of stories from people who have influenced our world…” – recorded at Eagle Pond Farm, Jan. 2005; there are 111 video clips of 5.5 minutes duration – Web of Stories;
- Comprehensive, up-to-date, bibliogrphy and related info by the publisher of Poetry magzine – including 54 poems, several essays by and about him: Poetry Foundation;
- His 2001 essay, “Death to the Death of Poetry,” is among the material posted here: Academy of American Poets;
- In their own words: “This guide compiles links to resources on Donald Hall throughout the Library of Congress Web site, as well as links to external Web sites that include features on Hall’s life or selections of his work.” Includes White House video of President Obama presenting him the National Medal of Arts in 20120: Library of Congress;
- NPR interview, 2014;
- Interview by Peter A. Stitt, The Paris Review, The Art of Poetry, No. 43 (Issue 120, Fall 1991); The Paris Review;